Saturday, September 22, 2007

Ladies of Leisure

Photo #1: "Ladies of Leisure" - created from a panel purchased in Portland, OR.

I’ve discovered I have totally confused myself on what the name of this quilt really is. I've been calling it Circle of Friends, and it has morphed into Ladies of Leisure, but sometimes I forget, and it becomes Circle of Friends again. I will have to make a label, and soon.

Now that I see it like this (as if from a distance), I think I would have liked it better without the dark red border. I'd like to see it displayed like the art work at my local Ethiopian restaurant - stretched between a four-sided twig frame, with lengths of sisal or hemp strung between the wood and holes punched in the quilt. Too late for this one. Maybe next time.

The fun thing about panels is making them your own, absolutely different than what anyone might do with the panel. For this one I did free motion quilting around the background leaves, and added not only the border, but piles of beads. There is a mix of polymer clay beads I made, semi-precious stone beads, many beads strung on "tiger tail" wire and tacked to the front of the quilt.

I didn't particularly enjoy sewing on all the beads, but the finished product made it well worth it. What I need to do is to find a "more funner" way to add embellishments.

Photo #2 shows hot-fix beads that I used for the ladies' jewelry.

No comments: