Monday, September 8, 2008

Yumberries - Move over, way over

Today while shopping for juice at Costco, after successfully staving off the urge to buy a Janome sewing machine at the local Sew & Vac, I spied a bottle containing Yumberry juice. What is a yumberry? I had to look it up.

On return to my room, I put the bottle in the bottom of the fridge to cool off while I did a little googling. "Move over for yumberries" was the general consensus as article after article announced the juice's availability in the U.S. this year.

Yumberries are yangmei, or Chinese bayberries, also known as the waxberry. They have miraculous powers, to read the reviews. The juice bottle I purchased says it is "packed with antioxidants to help you FIGHT FREE RADICALS®," and advises you to "LIVE. DRINK. REPEAT." (phrase trademarked by Frutzzo. May I say "argh?" What happened to freedom of speech? You get too many phrases registered and trademarked, and no one will be able to way a word without someone having a reason to file suit).

The juice is not 100% yumberry but is a mixture of water, yumberry, pineapple, cranberry, and black current juices from concentrate, maintaining it's healthy profile by not adding any sweeteners.

My first reaction on tasting it was not positive. I like pineapple and cranberry juices, so can only guess that yumberries have a rather odd flavor that I am not used to, tasting something like pomegranate juice - not a juice one usually chooses to drink by itself. After my tastebuds got used to it, however, it was passable, just not delicious. "This is good for me," I kept telling myself.

(later) TODAY'S REVERSALS:

MY EARLIER PROCLAMATION: "I successfully staved off the urge to buy a Janome" was premature. This afternoon I bought a Janome Memory Craft 6600P (wheeee!), a sewing machine made especially with quilters in mind. Lee helped me bargain them out of having to pay sales tax.

WEATHER FORECAST: Warm, partly cloudy, dry. It absolutely poured about an hour before the sun set. Beautiful gold-lined billows of clouds in the west afterwards.

No comments: