Monday, March 23, 2009

Purse mania

My latest foray into purse construction (previous purses not yet posed for photos):


At our last Tuesday guild night Linda brought me a simple purse pattern, and I couldn't help but try it out immediately. It starts with a square, and with a bit of simple folding, voila, there's your purse. It is a flat purse with three pockets. Naturally, the size of your beginning square affects the size of your finished purse. The larger purse started with a 24" square and ended up about 10x12", perfect for carrying a magazine, logic puzzle book, or spiral notebook while traveling, with pockets for pens - and chocolates (but of course). One of the two outside pockets is seen in the smaller purse.

Instead of using the recommended covered cording for the handle, and which I hate, hate, hate struggling with (can't find the nifty turning tool I bought a year ago), I made bound flat straps.

I am in the process of making a denim rag purse with the same pattern, washing my patched square over and over so as to make it more ragged.

Pattern source: Three pocket tote by Karen Montgomery
-

No comments: