Friday, March 13, 2009

Standard sewing machine, 1887



My newest machine is also my oldest one, purchased from an octogenarian friend whose mother had been the original owner. This is a Standard sewing machine with a breadbox-looking cover. Later they made the machines to fold under the top so that it could serve as a table when not in use. The latest patent date on this one is 1887. The machine has been serviced and is in working order.
Located in Cleveland, Ohio, the Standard Sewing Machine Company began manufacturing sewing machines in 1884. Standard was one of the many manufacturers that sprang up shortly after the dissolution of the Sewing Machine Combination of Singer, Wheeler & Wilson, and Grover & Baker. Their most popular model was the Standard Rotary, which was manufactured basically unchanged from the 1880s through 1910s... The Standard Company was apparently acquired by the Osaan company around 1929 and is believed to have later been bought out by the Singer Manufacturing Co. in the 1930s.

--From The Encyclopedia of Antique Sewing Machines, 3rd Edition

I use my other three machines (I should start giving them names) on a regular basis; the 20-year-old Kenmore (made by Janome) is in Alabama for my visits there; my little black Singer Featherweight 221 (8th grade graduation gift) for trotting out to quilting groups; and my Janome 6600, my workhorse in the Hideaway studio. My goal is to make a quilt using the above machine, partly to justify its existence in my keep-it-simple life. But as I said, we do have power outages here once in awhile, and a treadle sewing machine is a good backup.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have that exact machine. The only exception would be: Mine is a four drawer model. I know this is a old thread, but do you know where to get belts for it?

Bevanne said...

Do you know how much one of these machines would be worth? I purchased one that is still in working order. It's not in "mint" condition but in really good condition. Thanks.

LYNNDEL said...

So sorry for the late response, Anonymous. I don't know where to get belts, but the best place to start is a place that specializes in sewing machine repair.

I don't know how much this machine is worth, Bevanne. I bought mine from a friend for $100. I offered her more, but that is all she would accept.

brenda said...

Hi i also have the same machine four drawer but some one convert it to electric foot pedal. i would also like to find out what it is worth,I also have a 1950 wheeler and wilson sewing machine. if anyone has any idea where i can find out what they are worth please e mail me at vanparkermetre1@hotmail.com Thanks Brenda