Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Shopping lesson learned

Oops, 'scuse me a moment while I turn off my music. I never could understand why my kids could do homework with the sound of the radio filling the room, and I can't do anything requiring deep thinking while music of any kind is on. Then someone told me I was auditorially sensitive (that is true; can't sleep with a ticking clock in the room), so if music is running, it takes priority in my brain and other functions suffer. Thanks, I knew that!

Anyway (music off now), yesterday I trotted meself down to G Street Fabrics in Centreville, VA, and after an hour of looking, finally settled on a beautiful piece of fabric with which to make a dress. It was the only fabric in the whole store that I wanted, and it was perfect. Took it to the table, the cutter unrolled it, and there it was, one yard short of what I needed. I was SOOOOOO disappointed. Bought some quilt fabric to console myself.

Today, on the way to Physiotherapy for sister-in-law, Linda, I trotted meself over to Joann's, and, with a 30-minute-deadline, found the one and only piece of fabric that I wanted in that store. I also needed some fusible interfacing, so perused the stash of interfacings without immediately finding what I needed. Three ladies were heading across the store toward the cutting counter, carts full of bolts, and "Danger, Will Robinson" motivated me to saunter quick-step to the cutting counter, so as not to be behind them and get Linda late to her appointment.

Arriving, finally, at the head of the cutting line, I told the girl I needed 3 1/2 yards, then stepped over to the interfacings again while she cut the fabric. She was a shy young thing, seemed a bit uncertain, probably new.

At the checkout line, another little wait, I looked at my cutting slip. 3 yards. THREE. No 1/2 anywhere to be seen.

"Oh, no!" I said.

"Something wrong?" asked the very tall, very cute, very young checker guy, probably just out of high school.

"I asked for 3 1/2 yards, and I only have three," I said. "I can't fudge on this, because I'm tall, and I usually add a couple inches anyway."

The young man was very helpful and professional (he should be promoted). He remeasured the fabric to be sure (yup, 3 yards), checked the bolt (not enough), and called another store to look for more of the fabric (no luck). I paid for my other items, he made change for my $100 bill without complaint, and I was on my way.

It's a good thing I bought that quilt fabric yesterday. I am consoled.

Lesson: Always watch your fabric as it is being cut.

LynnDel

No comments: