Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Great Grandma's block, round 1

Because of my travels and other projects, I've been inactive in the International Friendship Quilters group for awhile, but their definition of a round robin, one in which you sew the rounds yourself instead of sending the quilt around and hoping it will actually eventually make it home again, intrigued me, especially since I had this block above, made by my great-grandma on her treadle sewing machine in the early 1900s.

Do you see where Great-grandma apparently ran out of one of her colors? This block has been sitting in my collection for awhile, waiting for attention, and I decided NOW is the time.

The Ostrich Quilt term comes from IFQ. Each month for the rest of the year they will reveal instructions for a new block to be included in the quilt. You can incorporate the block in any way you want, and are allowed to sit out (put your head in the sand like an ostrich) for one round, if you wish.

I haven't previously done anything with Great-grandma's block, because it included colors that are not common now, and that aren't in my preferred color palette. However, I also recently dyed 30 yards of fabric, and decided some of those colors will work.

The first block was revealed today, a square-in-a-square. Since tonight was guild night in the Hideaway, I got busy and made 20 squares from my dyed fabric and added them to Great-grandma's center block. It looks more interesting already, I think. I am looking forward to seeing what block will be introduced for the next round.
-

2 comments:

Melinda Cornish said...

this is wonderful...lucky you! I am always sad that my mom gave away my grandmas unfinished quilts back in the 80's cause now I know how to finish them!

LynnDel said...

That's too bad those were given away, but even without your grandma's blocks, you have the legacy of quilting which you are continuing, and that is a gift.