Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Altered octave


This lemon-yellow to turquoise octave has nine notes; that's why it is an altered octave. Notice the big jump between yellow and the next color, and that could be because when I was measuring the turquoise concentrate, I thought the book said 2 Tbsp, when it really said 2 tsp. I caught myself after the first Tbsp, but wasn't able to take back all the extra turquoise powder I had put in. In other words, this is not a scientifically done gradation!

Dyeing is most enjoyable. I do it in the shade of the sycamore tree, on the table under the overhang of my potting shed. I get some good exercise, because I have to tote softened water out to do dyeing, since the sink in the potting shed is (I think) the hard hard hard H20 straight from the well. When I want to take a break, my hammock is right there under the tree, catching the slight breezes that are a near constant here. I let the dyed fabrics stew in their juices all the hot hot day, and rinsed out this morning next to the compost pile, my rushings of water scaring out the buggy creatures who live there.

The purpose of this dyeing exercise was to see what kind of green I could get for my shopping bag project. Next post.
- -

3 comments:

Approachable Art said...

Really gorgeous gradation!! I love fabric dyeing.. if I could make a living at it, I just might do it non-stop. LOL

LynnDel said...

That's a dream we can aspire to. :)

Melinda Cornish said...

the oolors are so beautiful....I think it looks awesome even if you used too much dye on one...sometimes mistakes are great arent they?