Thursday, January 7, 2010

Fiber portrait - a break from the routine

If no one missed me here, I missed myself, but I have a good excuse:  I was spoiled in Colorado during the holidays.  Family there all have high-speed internet and new computers. I came back home and connected at my top available speed of 28.8 kbps, and it was like trying to crawl in gooey goo after having soared through sunny blue sky.  Hey, if anyone should ask me to marry him, I think one important factor would need to be determined before I gave my answer:  Does he have high-speed internet?  Ha!

Yesterday, before meeting with the Guilty Quilty Girls Friendship Garden Stitch and Itch Club at my place in the evening, I had the urge to try something new instead of finishing any of my Works In Progress, so I threw together the fused piece below, from a picture of my daughter trying to look shocked.  I used scraps of fabric I had on hand for this test run.  Pay no attention to the background; that's just what was on my design wall at the time.  If it looks too paint-by-numberish, scoot back from your computer ten feet or so.




But if you, as I suspect, did not move back from your computer monitor far enough to get a blended view, here's another view, below. The face looks great from a distance, don't you think?  



Experiments are so much fun.

I am currently working on a quilt I have named "Books I Have Read."  It is going to be backed with Warm Window insulating fabric and hang in front of the cold-producing double doors in my Hideaway studio.  Now what would a quilt called "Books I Have Read" look like?  You will see.  I am not excited about the outcome, but it will be useful, and most of it came from my scrap box.  My plan is to give it pizazz by adding embellishments and applique to it as time goes by.





3 comments:

Melinda Cornish said...

I cant wait to see it! !!! what books are you putting on it?


the face turned out really good and I am glad you showed two views, though I like it close up too! happy new year!

Approachable Art said...

Well you might not be excited by the outcome, but I can't wait to see it! :)

Janet said...

Love your fiber portrait!