Monday, January 25, 2010

Quilt: Books I Have Read


I suppose that if you turned this quilt on its side, it would be the "stacked coins" traditional pattern, but since I'm putting it the other way, it looks like books on shelves to me, and that's why I'm calling it Books I Have Read.  All the fabrics except the border were in my scrap bin, leftovers from other projects.  Once I decided it looked like books on shelves, I scrounged through six or seven quilt shops before I found what I wanted for the border fabric - printed words - in a quilt shop in Napa.  I had to have a very wide border in order to make it big enough to cover my double doors.

Next step:  Get a track system for hanging it so that it will insulate the room (Warm Window fabric serves as batting and backing) on very cold and very hot days.  When not in use, it can slide aside and serve as simple wall decoration.  Photo to come when that is done.

I am SOOOO glad I don't have to manhandle this stiff and heavy thing through my machine any more!

2 comments:

Approachable Art said...

Gorgeous, and a great idea, using it to insulate your room!

LynnDel said...

We have had such a long and cool spring that I haven't had to hang it yet to keep the heat out!