Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Felting


Since there are so many projects out there calling, calling, calling...  wanting me to try this, try that, I thought I'd add another to the list:  Felting.*  The above woolens came from the local thrift shop, photo taken after they came out of the drier.  I should have taken a picture before I felted them, but believe me, they are 1/2 to 1/3 their original size.  I am not mentioning the plaid blazer I thought was wool, but wasn't, and whose lint filled the washer drain and the drier lint catcher with its nasty shreddings and did not shrink or felt at all.

The two sweaters on the left were handknit and felted the best.  The remaining three woolen items were commercially made; the orange jacket (formerly salmon, don't know why the color changed) is the only woven item and felted the least.  I might run a couple of these through the process again.

Next affordable item on my wish list:  felting needles and some roving.

Plan:  Make handbags of the above.  I think the sleeves would make a number of cute little cell phone or camera bags.  The felt purse projects are now lined up in proper order behind a dozen or so others.  Strange thing, though, about my orderly plans.  Sometimes projects jump queue, and next thing you know, lovely chaos!

*To felt a wool item, wash with soap in hot water, and dry in hot drier.

3 comments:

norma said...

This looks like a fun project. Did you get a ton of lint in your washer and or dryer? Be sure to post your finished products.

LynnDel said...

Yes, I got a lot of lint, actually a LOT of lint, but I think most of it was from the blazer I mistakenly thought was wool and that I had taken apart at the seams (not advisable) before processing!

Melinda Cornish said...

I love felting!