Thursday, March 18, 2010

Waterwheel

 Waterwheel
15" x 15"

You can see the threads still hanging (waiting for sore finger to heal before burying them), but I couldn't resist the urge to "show and tell."  I converted a photo (photographer: Allen Hrenyk, used by permission) to a paper-pieced pattern by using the free software, Quilt Assistant.  The aspect ratio was changed because I needed a square, but I'm sure I would like it better with the original aspect ratio.  The fabrics are my hand-dyed fabrics.  The photo was taken by a friend who gave me permission to use it as a basis for quilt design.

Quilt Assistant was difficult for me to get started with because the instructions are a bit sketchy, but now that I've used it once, I've got an urge to do another one right away!  I learned a lot, especially on seeing some of the problems in the above design that glare out at me.  One thing is that if a line looks a little off to you in the design, it'll look WAY off in the final quilt.  I thought I'd be able to easily adjust while sewing, but it turned out not to be so.

Timeline:  One afternoon designing on the computer, two days piecing (117 pieces; the program counts 'em for you), one afternoon taking out and replacing pieces I didn't like because of the colors I'd originally chosen, one evening quilting.

4 comments:

Approachable Art said...

Lynn, this is wonderful!

Terri Stegmiller said...

This is a wonderful quilt. I hadn't heard of this free software, but am tempted to check it out now. Also love your funny face piece in the previous post.

Melinda Cornish said...

this is incredible....love, love , love it!!!!

Gloria said...

Really great piece here and I can't see the glaring problems you mentioned. I didn't know about the free software either. I have Quiltpro design software and think all have a learning curve. I have a thick manual with my software and an on-line forum, but must use them, LOL. You did more with your free software than I've done in the 5 or so yrs I've had my "not free" software. You inspire me to try using it again though.