15" x 15"
You can see the threads still hanging (waiting for sore finger to heal before burying them), but I couldn't resist the urge to "show and tell." I converted a photo (photographer: Allen Hrenyk, used by permission) to a paper-pieced pattern by using the free software, Quilt Assistant. The aspect ratio was changed because I needed a square, but I'm sure I would like it better with the original aspect ratio. The fabrics are my hand-dyed fabrics. The photo was taken by a friend who gave me permission to use it as a basis for quilt design.
Quilt Assistant was difficult for me to get started with because the instructions are a bit sketchy, but now that I've used it once, I've got an urge to do another one right away! I learned a lot, especially on seeing some of the problems in the above design that glare out at me. One thing is that if a line looks a little off to you in the design, it'll look WAY off in the final quilt. I thought I'd be able to easily adjust while sewing, but it turned out not to be so.
Timeline: One afternoon designing on the computer, two days piecing (117 pieces; the program counts 'em for you), one afternoon taking out and replacing pieces I didn't like because of the colors I'd originally chosen, one evening quilting.