Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Rusting the trusted pants

PART I

Some dark spots appeared on the rear of my favorite comfy pants, making it appear I had l sat one haunch upon some tiny spots of fresh tar. Not so good, couldn't even wear them to work in the garden.  Several attempts at spot removal were unsuccessful, so the next direction for a problem like this is the If You Can't Beat 'em, Join 'em philosophy.  I enjoyed so much my first rust experiment that now I am expanding into clothing (remembering that perhaps there will be a discomfort factor due to the rust, but that remains to be seen).  This is all experimental.  I don't know how it will turn out!


Since my first experiment went so well, I am using the same rusty iron rod and the same vinegar I used last time.  First I took my dampened pants out of the washing machine, where yet again the black spots had not come out, and painted both sides of the pants with vinegar.


I twisted the pant legs.  The smudges on the pants are due to my having handled the rusty rod, and loose bits of rust sticking to my hands and transferring to the fabric.  Oh!  Idea!  I could probably scrape this rod and make myself some rust paint.  Hmmm...


I coiled the twisted pant legs around the rod.


I covered everything with a couple of white plastic bags and recycled some previously used painter's tape in order to keep the fabric in close contact with the rusted rod.  Now I will let it stew in its juices until I have a chance to get back to it, early next week.

I haven't tried twisting or coiling before, so am curious as to how the rust pattern will look.  I anticipate at least one, possibly two, more rounds of rusting on these pants.  We'll see...

1 comment:

Melinda Cornish said...

I cant wait to see what happens and if they are wearable.....