Well, hmmm... rusting my trusted pants didn't turn out anything like I expected. I don't know exactly what I expected, but I didn't want them to look like I'd been sliding around in the barnyard. Ah well, they have now reached the "nothing can hurt these pants" category, and nothing can stop me now!
Photo 1: The first wrapping didn't produce much rust, probably because I had twisted the fabric too tightly before wrapping the rust pole. The main spot of dark rust that resulted was right in the crotch, not a spot where anyone wants a big brown splotch!
Photo 2: The back of the pants after a vertical roll around the pole on two separate marinate-in-rust occasions.
Photo 3: The front of the pants showing the bleed through of the rust from the back.
I am going to do to the fronts exactly what I did to the backs, and then some around the hems, and wash-wash-wash, and then figure out how else I can bust these rusted trusted pants. Progress (or regress) to be reported here. I'm thinking paint, buttons, fringe, "interesting pockets." Someday, maybe very soon, someone will come across these in a bin of tossed clothing and wonder...