Friday, May 18, 2012

Lake Cabin Leftovers

Everyone has to make a log cabin quilt at some point, right? This one is a soft, comfy, tied quilt made of flannel - for a birthday gift a few years ago. I've had leftovers sitting in my leftover bins ever since.

Cabin on the Lake
September, 2007

There were enough leftovers to make a lap quilt without having to buy any extra fabric. A lot of it was already in strips, so I made brown strip blocks and blue strip blocks, alternated them, and sewed them together for the front.

I didn't have enough backing to do all in one piece, or even enough to make alternate blocks and still have enough left for binding, so the back is two-toned, blue on one side, brown on the other, separated by a strip of leftover blocks. I kind of like the resulting effect, partially showing below.

Lake Cabin Leftovers
May, 2012
I quilted it with LWLS (lazy wavy line stitching). As I say, I like piecing; the quilting is only a necessary evil. Now, if I had a long-arm machine, I might change my tune slightly. Notice how different the color looks in the outdoor shot than the earlier one indoors.

1 comment:

LynnDel said...

Testing the comment section on this layout.