This next one is a charity quilt, made from blocks donated to me for the purpose. I interspersed the gifted blocks with purple fabric I had on hand. It has embossed stars on it, which I learned are somewhat plasticky. The sewing machine got a little stuck on their stickiness, AND they melted when ironed! I don't know where I got that fabric, but it was also donated to me, and I donated my remnants to someone else after I warned them about its shortfalls.
We had a big garage sale in September, 2014, and between customers, I put these blocks out on the ping pong table in the garage and arranged them, preparatory to quilting. They turned out to be a real conversation piece. Quilting is a big thing in this locale. We are about 30 miles from Sisters, renowned for its annual outdoor quilt show in its quaint downtown area.
|Falling Stars, in production|
I used spray basting for this one, as I have for most of mine until I started doing QAYG. I didn't have any batting on hand that was unpacked, so I used a brand new twin mattress pad. I hadn't realized how thick a new mattress pad can be! This is probably one very warm quilt. When doing the free-motion quilting, I alternated large stars and loops, free motion, down each row. It went pretty fast, but it probably didn't help my physical therapy issues any. I need to take a look at the ergonomics of my various sewing stations.
This quilt is the first of several recent quilts where the borders are pieced scraps that I had on hand. It saves buy more fabric, and it whittles down the stored scraps, but it is a lot of work. It took longer to cut and sew and trim those borders than it did to put the rest of the donated blocks together. I'm using a lot of my donated threads, too. I will need to make a pink quilt in order to use up my pink thread. Pink, hmm... Not my favorite color.
|Falling Stars, complete|