It turned out that not too many quilters liked this particular BOM choice, so Beverly's went back to the tried-and-true batiks the following year.
I have a little rule I follow when it comes to BOMs: Make the block immediately after picking it up. Therefore, I have had these finished blocks sitting in my UFO bin since December 2011:
At first I looked at the blocks and thought: How is this every going to turn out anything but ugly?
Then I looked at my fabric stash and thought: I need to buy fabric for sashing and borders.
Then I looked at our post-property-tax bank account and thought: I don't have money to buy extra fabric; I'll have to make do with my stash. So I did. That's a life lesson -- making do. Sweetie was pleased.
Having needed six weeks of physical therapy after quilting my last big quilt on my domestic Janome, I have decided I am not going to do that again. Since making these quilts overlapped, there is no way I could make these posts chronological. I did QAYG, quilt-as-you-go, row-by-row. I like this method better than quilting the blocks and then dealing with folding seam allowances on strips of fabric to attach the blocks, front and back. If anyone is interested enough to ask, I'll write a post about how I did it.
This is where I am now, put together and quilted, border to come (ignore the blue quilt underneath):
The backing is leftovers from a previous quilt, and the border will be little squares of scraps on hand. It will have a different color combo than the main part of the quilt. I am hoping it will look okay! More to come on this one. I hope to finish it by next week. Will share front and back photos when done.